A 25 Pair shoe shelf.

A Place to show off your wood working projects
Kamalnv
Newly Registered User

A 25 Pair shoe shelf.

Post by Kamalnv »

My wife wanted to buy a 25 Pair shoe shelf online , so I challenged her it came be made at same or lower cost and much better quality product , the requirements were clear it should be able cater to all kinds of shoes, boots, sport shoes, high ankle boots etc..

thats how the story started, am not a great fan of ply but wanted to bring in lumber into it with the materials I already had, most were scavenged from old furniture , I had to buy only the ply. Having not much work done on ply choose to go with some low cost imported ply, with thin Veneer on both sides .. Really not a bad choice at the price point.

Few things I saw before buying ply

Consistency 18mm across all edges, gaps and bulges ( inspected on already cut ply), thickness and number of layers, and Veneer finishing instead of laminate. Gentlemen was kind enough to give me this @65/- psft. Not a great ply but good enough for my work.

Wanted to keep the design simple two pullout draws for accessories, two shelves for boots and two shoe rack fittings for multiple layer to host all size of shoes from cup shoes to daily wear.

Total size 55" width, 16" depth and 37" height.

Hinges

On top shelf used ebco full overlay hinges and cabinet stay hinges for the sides.

For bottom shelves used three row shoe rack fittings assuming I can 9 pairs in one shelf, unfortunately her shoe size doesn't fit in so had to cut it down to one row.

Handles

DIY'er in me didn't want to buy it...Image So did two kinds of handles one with 18 deg cut and another with 45 deg again scavanged wood ..thanks to my planer ..phew !!

It seems 45 deg cut is more comfortable as it has more space for the figures to hold a grip on.

Stand

The legs are from thumma tree and horizontal from some Burma or cheap teak scavenged
Wood . Finishing with sanding sealer 2 coats and Aquador PU base + top coats.

I am still not convinced on the outer finish for the shutters , need your suggestions to improve it.ImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 Pro using Tapatalk

RajeshDev
Newly Registered User

Re: A 25 Pair shoe shelf.

Post by RajeshDev »

Hi Kamal

That looks clean and awesome. Nice to know that you have made handles also with Ply.

How long did it take for you to complete this?
Who is the maker of ply ?

Thanks.
Kamalnv
Newly Registered User

Post by Kamalnv »

RajeshDev wrote:Hi Kamal

That looks clean and awesome. Nice to know that you have made handles also with Ply. Image

How long did it take for you to complete this?
Who is the maker of ply ?

Thanks.
No no the handles are made of solid wood again reclaimed....

The ply is not a branded one he imports wood from canada I am assuming this might also be from there.

Karthikeyan

Post by Karthikeyan »

You never mentioned the cost of this vs what is in the market. :)
Next, are you going to give some ventillation holes at the back?

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

Kamalnv
Newly Registered User

Post by Kamalnv »

I bought at Rs.65/- psft ...hardwood like Garjan is around 90/- psft and birch starts at 130 to 150 psft. As I know.